Create the perfect accent or foundation for so many looks with the Basket Weave by Sam Villa
Looking for a way to switch up regular styling this season? After whipping up a social media storm at Paris Fashion Week for the Atlein S/S19 show, the basket weave is the latest technique which is sure to be trending during the season ahead.
Versatile and eye-grabbing, Sam Villa explains that “this simple two strand twist technique can easily be transformed into many different styles, and the pattern draws a lot of attention to long, medium and short hair. Basket weaves are all about rhythm, get your rhythm down and your sections will be uniform, and your confidence will soar.”
- Take a section, slice into 2, twist away from face.
- Take a section from top surface, drop in between, twist away, continue rhythm and secure end with elastic.
Things to keep in mind:
- The pattern can be customised to be straight across or diagonal.
- Each row should mirror the sections of the previous row – they don’t need to be exact, but more uniform than relaxed pancaked patterns.
- It’s ideal for one-length hair, if working with layers; the pattern might have to start lower (top of ear to nape area).
- When creating patterns, minimise the time hair is loped through elastics by twisting the elastic multiple times to tighten around hair and just loop through once.
- Once the pattern is created, hair can hang naturally, be folded under or sculpted into an up do or ponytail.