If your retail focus has slipped, now is the time to get product savvy!
With the cost-of-living escalating, where your clients choose to spend their hard-earned cash is more important than ever. When competing with other retailers and online shopping sites, hairdressers and barbers have the opportunity to share their expertise with clients not only in providing personalised product recommendations; but in how to build long-lasting relationships.
Winner of the 2021 KH Hair Group Salon Highest Retail Award and salon director of KH Hair Nottingham, Debbie McMenamin, shares her secrets to creating an award-winning retail business.
Debbie’s Top Tips…
- “Make sure your team is educated and invested in the brand that you retail. If they understand how and why it works and enjoy using the product, you’re already halfway there.”
- “Ensure the product display is attractive. It needs to be clean and tidy and well-stocked, but also accessible so clients are comfortable looking at the products and picking them up.”
- “Talk to the client about the benefits of using the products at home. If, as a hairdresser, you can’t make their hair look amazing without using product, what chance does the client have? Explain how to use/apply the product and how it will help make their hair look and feel amazing.”
- “Incentivise your team – whether through paying commission on what they retail or giving them complimentary products for them to use on their own hair at home.”
- “Do the team know what is expected of them when it comes to clients purchasing home hair care? It’s not about selling. It’s about ensuring their hair remains a good advert for the salon and the stylist between visits. If a colour lasts longer and the hair is in better condition, it’s a win-win situation for both the client and stylist.”
- “Keep it consistent. Build trust with your client and team with the products you use in the salon and offer for home hair care. Only recommend what the client needs and never sell them products for the sake of it.”