When you’re doing hair for events you need to ensure your looks are going to last. We loved this pin-free faux hawk, ideal for textured hair, from Kauilani Goodwyn so much that we asked how to recreate it!
Longevity for any style is based on a strong foundation. Pins are usually the go to for locking things in place, but let’s face it, there are sometimes when they just won’t cut it…or just can’t be located. Kauilani Goodwyn, Sam Villa ambassador, shares how to create a pin-free Faux Braid Hawk that will last for days. It’s perfect any textured hair clients you might have who are booking in for events this summer, such as proms or weddings.
“Learning how to create a good foundation with different tools is important, because there are multiple situations where a pin-free style is more advantageous,” explains Kauilani.
How To: Faux Braid Hawk
1.Cleanse and prep hair with Mizani Press Agent Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Section and Bantu Knot hair to keep moisture in.
3. Apply Mizani Press Agent Raincoat Styling Cream and Serum (based on porosity of hair) before blow drying each section with a paddle brush.
4. When completely dry, use straighteners for smoothness. I used Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron. Note: this style can be executed on blown out hair, or a Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron can be used for a fuller visual aesthetic.
5. Part hair into three sections and clip up centre panel with dry sectioning clips.
6. Split the side panels in half from hairline to nape, and clip away bottom panel.
7. Cornrow the panel closest to the centre panel, from front hairline to nape.
8. Put the latch hook under the braid, take a section of hair from the bottom panel and pull it through. Continue until the nape.
9. Repeat steps above on the other side panel.
10. Unclip the centre panel and add clip-ins for fullness (if desired).
11. Make subsections and create small ponytails in the centre panel from the front hairline to the nape using snag free elastics.
12. Start a Faux Braid from the front ponytail (see how HERE)
13. Continue technique through the length of hair (or stop at the last ponytail, leave hair out, and style).
14. Pull hair out to create braid effect and apply Mizani Humidity Resistant Mist or Shine Spray to finish.