Beat bullying with the Paul Mitchell Neon guide
We all tend to associate bullying with school and teenagers, but bullying can take place at any age and in any situation – it’s what makes it so hard to tackle. If someone is being bullied, they’re unlikely going to come up and tell you, especially in the workplace, but there are steps you can take to make sure bullying won’t be tolerated in your salon. Show your team you care about them by displaying Neon’s Anti-Bullying guide in your staff room and share your views and policies with your team.
The Neon guide includes:
WHAT IS BULLYING?
Bullying is behaviour that makes someone feel intimidated or offended and can be related to the following:
- Gender (including gender reassignment)
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
EXAMPLES OF BULLYING INCLUDE:
- Spreading malicious rumours
- Unfair treatment
- Picking on someone
- Regularly undermining someone
- Denying someone’s training or promotion opportunities.
BULLYING AND HARASSMENT CAN HAPPEN:
- By letter
- By email
- By phone
All work organisations should have an anti-bullying policy. This is a document that sets out employees’ rights when it comes to bullying in the workplace. This policy should set out how your workplace prevents bullying from taking place, as well as how complaints will be dealt with. For more information and a helpline, visit gov.uk/workplace-bullying-and-harassment.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU’RE BEING BULLIED?
If you’re experiencing behaviour that makes you feel intimidated or offended, there are steps you can take to help. First, you should try to resolve the situation informally by speaking with the person/people in question. If you are unable to do this, you should:
- Confide in your manager
- Speak with your Human Resources department
- Seek advice online – antibullyingpro.com/support-centre or gov.uk/workplace-bullying-and-harassment
- It’s helpful to have evidence of the unwanted behaviour, so write down any examples, save any screenshots and note the time, date and nature of any incidents.
To get your own copy of the Neon guide, as well as your anti-bullying salon kit, call 0845 659 0011