UPDATE – 11 May 2020
The respiratory illness novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) was first reported in December 2019, in the city of Wuhan, China. It has since spread around the world, with the World Health Organisation (WHO) declaring the disease a pandemic on March 11, reflecting its rapid transmission (via airborne droplets and their transfer on hard surfaces) and a lack of immunity in the global population.
Both government and brands within the hair industry are working hard to provide up to date information and resources to help you and your business during this situation. We’ll continue to add more as we’re made aware of them…
As the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to develop, you should regularly refer to these sources of information for the most up to date news and advice, from both a business and personal perspective:
- NHS information about the symptoms and recommended treatment of the illness
- The latest government guidance from the Department of Health (regarding minimising transmission and control measures implemented nationwide)
- Read the Government’s roadmap for exiting lockdown in England, with topline details for salons opening from 4 July at the earliest
- Check the latest announcements for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Hair industry specific
- Get the latest NHBF advice, with links to the legal and business hotlines available to members
- Phorest has provided a best practice guide for salons both in the UK and in Ireland
- L’Oréal Professionnel has put together a support guide for freelancers in the UK and Ireland, as well as a UK and Irish salon support guides, available to anyone who signs up to its education site Access
- Treatwell has created a Facebook group, Behind Closed Doors, to provide a space for salon owners to share support and ask questions.
- Create free, customisable forms with Timely’s Consult app to help with reopening concerns, even if you’re not a Timely customer. Build health questionnaires, consultation forms to reduce time spent in the salon, a waiver on risks… and simply email them to clients. Gettimely.com/consultation-app
- Weareonetigi.com shares inspiring social media activity, compiles government advice and updates, and offers a free, comprehensive social media package
- There’s a full schedule of how-to videos, Q&As and masterclasses on @wellahairuk, while Wella Professionals Global hosts a range of Facebook Live seminars on facebook.com/wellaprofessionals. There’s also a support guide for freelancers available.
- Online education, business advice and personalised assets are available from JOICO to all salons to download at joico.eu/covid-19-support
- Premier Software has frozen all direct debits from 1 April, to ensure clients won’t be charged during this time. If they pay annually, it will look to review their contract accordingly upon return. Support is still available to via phone, email and live chat, and trainer Becky Sims is offering free remote system audits and account management sessions to help clients spring clean their software and plan for the future. Details can be found on premiersoftware.uk
- From Kao you can access financial support offerings for salons and partnerships, access to online education, a virtual home for the Goldwell Creative Awards and lots more. Check out kaosalondivision.com
- The #ColourCodeChallenge is looking to raise £1m via this GoFundMe campaign to support UK Salons & Stylists struggling to survive.
- Salon Success has created a dedicated hub for salons to access key information and support documents