The team at Murdock London share five top tips for investing in your mental health
At Murdock London, mental health of both team members and clients is paramount. With three salons in Covent Garden, Soho and Shoreditch, and in Nordstrom in New York, all the team members are Mental Health First Aid trained.
The team also collaborated with the NHS for its ‘London, you good?’ campaign aimed at 18–25-year-old Londoners, with tips on mental health. As attention turns to topic ahead of World Mental Health Day, the Murdock London barber share why looking after your mental health is so important.
Top Tips from Murdock London:
1. “Mental health is the cornerstone of your overall fitness and wellbeing. If you are struggling, speaking to someone. Finding support is the first – and hardest – step you can take. Being honest with yourself and accepting you’re in need of help shows great strength of character.”
2. “Luckily, we’re in an age where talking about your mental health is encouraged, and there are a lot of resources out there. Your mental health should always be your top priority.”
3. “Whether you’re a barber, banker, barista or baker, your mental health is just as important as your physical health. If you break your arm you’d go to A&E, your mental health is the same; if you’re feeling broken you should seek help.”
4. “If you are struggling with mental health but feel like you can’t, or don’t want to talk, it will impact you negatively and can cause you to struggle for days, weeks, or even months. Speaking to someone that’s first aid trained in mental health is so important in taking steps to being the best version of yourself.”
5. “Good mental health ensures you have a positive mindset for all the challenges life throws your way. It’s normal not to feel great all the time; speaking openly is the first step to getting back to your best. It may also help others around you who are suffering silently, build the confidence to speak out too.”